(languages other than English)
The study of LOTE at Kogarah High School aims to provide students with the opportunity to gain effective skills in communicating with others, to explore the relationship between languages and English, to become more accepting of diversity, to be more respectful of others and more aware of their place in the international community. In all LOTE courses, students will follow a specially designed program which covers a variety of topics, using a range of tasks (reading, writing, listening, speaking and viewing). Students will be given homework after each topic and will be required to complete research projects throughout the course.
LOTE is a compulsory course in year 8. Lessons are structured to:
- Familiarise students with the culture of the country.
- Enable students to comprehend simple spoken instructions and conversations in the target language.
LOTE is an elective course offered in years 9, 10, 11 and 12.
In years 9 10 lessons are structured to:
- Build upon their previous knowledge gained in years 7 & 8.
- Provide students with a deeper understanding of the grammar and language convention of the target language.
- Enable students to communicate effectively in the target language.
If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart.
In years 11 & 12 the LOTE course offered is 2U Japanese Beginners. Lessons are structured to enable students to:
- Develop knowledge, understanding and skills in the target language.
- Communicate confidently in the target language.
- Develop the ability to move successfully across and within cultures.
- Provide students with opportunities for continued learning and for future employment and experience, both domestically and internationally, in areas such as public relations, commerce, hospitality, education, marketing, international relations, media and tourism.